GrantChat Horror Stories - Ethics and Grants
This week, Dave Tinker, CFRE, FAFP, and member of the Grant Professionals Association Ethics Committee, joins GrantChat this week to chat about Grant Horror Stories and Ethics in Fundraising.
- Ethics violations in fundraising and grants are SCARY! What are some of your favorite resources on ethics and fundraising?
- When you have questions about ethics? Do you have an ethics WIZARD that you ask/go to for advice?
- You don’t want to be TRICKED when your organization gets a treat! Does your org/client have gift acceptance policies that covers ethics and specifically how does it cover ethics?
- An Exec. Dir. insists you raise money from a funder, but according to the funder’s guidelines, they won’t fund you. It looks like it could be a DEAD end. What do you do?
- An exec Dir knows that you have a previous relationship with a funder who has never funded the org/client and asks you to apply to them. Is it ethical?
- Do you follow funders’ staff on social media? Is there DANGER in following funder’s staff on social media -- is it ethical?
- You join a board at a nonprofit and, to your HORROR, you find that the board follows unethical practices. What would you do?
- You are working on a grant report and notice that funding was not used for what the proposal said it would be used for. What a NIGHTMARE! What would you do?
- You didn’t spend all of a grant’s funds and your executive director asks you to DIG UP other things that weren’t in the funder-approved proposal to bill to the grant. What do you do?
- Your organization had a good year raising funds and you are TREATED to a bonus for your work. Is it ethical?
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. Your information will not be shared.